Monday 4 June 2012

Vintage Jubilee Fair - part one

Well, we've been and gone and done it!  Our first 'official' outing as Teatime Vintage :)

Yesterday we had a stall at the fabulous Vintage Jubilee Fair at The Nichols Building Vintage, Arts & Crafts in Shalesmoor, Sheffield. 

For anyone yet to discover The Nichols Building, well, let me tell you, you are in for a treat!  Made up of little shops within one big showroom, you walk in and find yourself surrounded by the most gorgeous mix of vintage and handcrafted items available to buy from a central sales desk.  And not only that, but there is the coolest quirky cafe you could hope to have a cuppa in!

Before I move on to 'the big day', I'll start by sharing a little about our preparations...

Saturday - the day before the 'big day' yesterday - was, to say the least, busy busy busy!  The day began at 6am when, with my head full of ideas I felt the need to get up and get cracking! 

I started by finishing the crafting project that I had been working on which is now know as 'The Butterfly Collective".  Inspired by traditional Natural History Museum framed butterfly collections I had decided to use an old framed canvas sourced locally and in need of a new lease of life.  I'd already painted the canvas out and was ready to apply the  (paper) butterflies that I was using.

I've always had a bit of a 'thing' for butterflies, bugs and birds - maybe it's a wing-thing?! I really love this piece (photos to follow in part two!) and will find it hard to let it go should anyone choose to buy it.  But rather than feel sad I plan to create a whole collection of pieces around this theme.  Until it is time to say goodbye to these butterfly friends the pictures will become part of our styling 'kit' at our pop-up tea parties.  Hiring them out is another possibility.

Anyway, back to my busy Saturday.  The day moved on with a marathon baking session!  Now, although I have a love of baking and feel confident in my baking abilities, the Jubilee Fair was to be my first attempt at selling my baked goods to the public.  I was feeling a little apprehensive about this. Would they be good enough?  Would people buy them.  If they did buy them would they like them?  Or would their faces crumple in disgust at my attempts?

I wanted to create an interesting selection of tasty treats from which people could choose.  I'd agreed, when signing up for the stall, to produce cupcakes but I wanted to ensure that there would be an interesting choice of flavours.  So I went with lemon, lavender, and banana and chocolate which sat alongside the more traditional vanilla and the good old favourite chocolate.

Mini-Victoria Sandwich cakes topped with raspberries and blueberries were added to mix along with lavender shortbread biscuits and lavender floral cremes - possibly the sweetest handmade sweets that have ever existed in the history of the entire world!

As my marathon baking session came to a close I picked up the childcare baton from Andy who had been looking after baby Will all day.  Andy was now free to prepare our retro sweet selection in the vintage style jars we have been collecting - no rest for the wicked ;)

At the end of a very long day we all collapsed in to bed with our heads full of what was to come the following day....

No comments:

Post a Comment